Saturday, August 4, 2007

Missouri

My observations about Missouri so far are as follows. It is a grave imposition the slow down or even move over but the slightest bit in order to pass cyclists. As well they feel the urge to jam the horn whenever they are passing. Not to let you know they are there, but just as they get along side of you. The worst offender was a tractor trailer who passed me much much closer than i would have like and just as he was pulling even laid on his horn. With maybe 3 feet to my self every muscle i own contracted and tried not to swerve but startled is an understatement. And then just as i was relaxing i guess his colleague decided to begin laying on his horn 50 feet be hind behind me and continue using it until 100 feet after he left. I guess that i forgot the roads were made for these two drivers alone. Not only this but they don't believe in building roads that navigate around hills. Everything is straight up and straight down. The Ozarks were pretty but between 100 degrees and hills that were as steep if not steeper than anything i encountered in the Appalachians i could have done without them. Some one i passed said that they had found a grade of 21%. This compared to the steepest interstates of 6-7% and the steepest climbs in the tour de france of 10-12%. I can say that words not fit for children passed my lips on more than one occasion. In addition my rack broke again. I'm waiting in a small town until morning for the hardware store so that i can mend it well enough to get me to the Kansas border where there is a bike shop. Lets just say that Missouri is my least favorite state so far. Luckily I'll be out of it in less than two days.

2 comments:

isaiah said...

whoa missouri sounds like it sucks.
Sound like youve gotten pretty far wats ur favorite state do far-Isaiah

betty church said...

did you go see the arch?
i love that thing...i think it is hilarious