Friday, September 14, 2007

Rock River Wyoming

I left Laramie Wy and headed west of hwy 287. The road was under heavy construction and nearly no shoulder. This continued for a mile until I realized that the two lanes that had been closed in the other direction hadn’t been torn up yet. I picked up my bike and walked over to this section of road and had my own personal road for some 15 miles. I would have been in heaven if it weren’t for the 40-60 mph headwinds, which were just buffeting me and dropping my speed to 5-6 mph. I had my shortest mileage day to date and after 40 miles I was more mentally beat than physically and I decided to stop in the next town I came to. When I arrived I inquired about a place to stay and found that the park next to town hall was a good candidate. Around 9 I was looking for a bathroom and saw a bar across the street. I went inside used the restroom and inquired if they took credit since I was out of cash. The owner/bartender’s response was no, then he said “hey your that guy riding the bicycle?” To which I responded “yes”. He then told me that the first beer was on him and that the guy at the end of the bar would buy me the second cause you can’t drink just one beer. I thanked them and conversed with most of the 10 people in the bar. A couple of hours later I left and went to bed feeling good and having had an unexpectedly good time. In the morning I was back at the general store were the night before I got the info about the park and related my story of the free beers and the woman who worked there explained how most of the town didn’t like that bar and there people very much. I didn’t try to argue but all I could think was that if I had to choose between her and the bar, the bar gave me free beer, and never badmouthed anyone.

No comments: