Friday, September 14, 2007

The Dutch


In the morning I bought a ticket to Vancouver Island and rolled into Anacortes to check out the town. It was Sunday so the bookstores were closed but I managed to get some food. I got on the ferry at 2 pm for the 3 hr ride. On the ride I meet two Dutch guys who were touring around the Pacific Northwest. They had arrived 4 weeks earlier and were leaving in a week. I hitched along with them and made camp that night with them. It dawned on me close to bedtime I hadn’t caught their names. When they told me, it took me a couple of tries to pronounce them, and that was the reason they hadn’t offered them. So we made some jokes about repeating them over and over like we were in grade school and trying to pick up new vocabulary. In the morning I said my goodbyes and did my best to pronounce their names, which they said, was good though they could have just been polite. They joke that I had practiced all night I’ll be honest that I repeated them to myself at least 30 times before I went to bed. Frebus and Wannus were good sports about my ignorance and we had a great time.

No comments: