Friday, September 14, 2007

Cocky

On my first full day in Washington state. I rode 85 miles before starting the hardest climb of my trip; it was almost 5000 ft in 18 miles. Also it was after dark when I began. 6 miles into the climb I was ready to stop, and with 6 miles left I had begun to walk my bike when I got to a slow vehicle turn out. Then ride the mile to the next one. I arrived at the top some time around 1:30 am. The campsite I was banking on was closed and I was to tired to ride any more so I just slept in the closed campsite. I figure the worst that would happen is that they would kick me out and give me a ride down the hill. The night was cold and really windy. The announcement board had a sign saying there was a problem bear in the campsite which added to my since of happiness. I decided to sleep in the bathroom that night. It helped with both the wind and the bear problem. I had been averaging 115 miles every day, and at just 103, I was done.

No comments: