Monday, October 1, 2007

Portland


24 hrs and 175 miles later i arrived in Portland were Kim and Bill met me in the downtown area. They threw out several ideas as to what to do so i picked the Pittock mansion. It had the preface of “ it's a bit up hill”. Turns out it is the highest point in Portland and has an amazing view of the City. After we arrived they apologized for taking me up such a hill after having ridden all day. Despite being tired i was really glad i saw it and didn't see it as an imposition. We then rode back to Kim's where i got a shower and we went out. While in Portland we traveled to Smith Rock which is a few hours away but is one of the best sport climbing areas around. It was warm during the day, in the 70's and quite cold at night, below freezing. I had a great time climbing and just chilling out. I was going to stay there and wait to meet up with Matt and Eric who were going to be there in a couple of days, but then i decided that i would just come back to Portland and hang there for a little while longer. I have done so much and had such a good time in Portland that it is hard to relate here. I've been welcomed by everyone and made to feel at home by Kim's roommates, Liz and Elizabeth, and nearly everyone else I've interacted with. I think because the high percentage of transplants, I've been invited by a huge number of people here to move to Portland. Portland is extremely bicycle friendly and because of my current mode of transport it is very appealing, also this city is just full of people with common interests and mentalities.

No comments: