Monday, July 23, 2007

Unexpected Help

Before i left the bike mechanic at Lutherville bike shop told me all of the things that he saw as potential flaws in my bike and might be problem areas. Of course none of those things have gone wrong. The new bike rack that i bought lasted maybe 35 miles before it to shook apart. To make things worse my sandals fell out when it broke. As you might guess at this moment, i was less than enthused. I had been running on a real high energy level and just feeling great, the weather was great everthing was going well that day and then this. Before i my attude had a chance to change, the owner of the house who i stopped in front of came out with a huge glass of ice and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I initially turned him down, but on second thought I took him up on his offer. Honestly what was i going to do other than limp to another bike shop and have the rack break apart again. Doc and Sherie(sp?) were very hospitable. We managed to get the rack together using mostly pieces from his garage and a few nuts and bolts I brought along. We bolted a couple of mending plates to it, and strapped a hose clamp around the whole thing. Doc turned out to be a software engineer who describes himself as having been on the right side of the .com boom. I think having the means to move into the country and grow your own food is the dream of many people. Well to them I say thanks. The rack has held together quite well for 300 miles so far, and my good mood continued.

No comments: